Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)
Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)
has been established under Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 which
consolidates various acts & orders that have hitherto handled food related
issues in various Ministries and Departments. FSSAI has been created for laying
down science based standards for articles of food and to regulate their
manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import to ensure availability of
safe and wholesome food for human consumption.
Highlights of the Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006
Various central Acts like Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, 1954 , Fruit
Products Order , 1955, Meat Food Products Order , 1973,
Vegetable Oil Products (Control) Order, 1947,Edible Oils Packaging
(Regulation)Order 1988, Solvent Extracted Oil, De- Oiled Meal and Edible Flour
(Control) Order, 1967, Milk and Milk Products Order, 1992 etc will be repealed
after commencement of FSS Act, 2006.
The Act also aims to establish a single reference point for all matters relating
to food safety and standards, by moving from multi- level, multi- departmental
control to a single line of command. To this effect, the Act establishes an
independent statutory Authority – the Food Safety and Standards Authority of
India with head office at Delhi. Food Safety and Standards Authority of India
(FSSAI) and the State Food Safety Authorities shall enforce various provisions
of the Act.
Establishment of the Authority
Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India is the Administrative
Ministry for the implementation of FSSAI. The Chairperson and Chief Executive
Officer of Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) have already
been appointed by Government of India. The Chairperson is in the rank of
Secretary to Government of India.
FSSAI has been mandated by the FSS Act, 2006 for performing the
here to view the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006
- Framing of Regulations to lay down the Standards and guidelines in relation to
articles of food and specifying appropriate system of enforcing various
standards thus notified.
- Laying down mechanisms and guidelines for accreditation of certification bodies
engaged in certification of food safety management system for food businesses.
- Laying down procedure and guidelines for accreditation of laboratories and
notification of the accredited laboratories.
- To provide scientific advice and technical support to Central Government and
State Governments in the matters of framing the policy and rules in areas which
have a direct or indirect bearing of food safety and nutrition .
- Collect and collate data regarding food consumption, incidence and prevalence of
biological risk, contaminants in food, residues of various, contaminants in
foods products, identification of emerging risks and introduction of rapid alert
- Creating an information network across the country so that the public,
consumers, Panchayats etc receive rapid, reliable and objective information
about food safety and issues of concern.
- Provide training programmes for persons who are involved or intend to get
involved in food businesses.
- Contribute to the development of international technical standards for food,
sanitary and phyto-sanitary standards.
- Promote general awareness about food safety and food standards.