FOOD SAFETY DISPLAY BOARDS
As per the FSS Regulation, there is a mandatory requirement of displaying FSSAI License/Registration Number at food premises. Usually, the FSSAI license number is not visible to the consumers. Thus, to change the overall consumer perceptibility and to strengthen food safety, FSSAI has introduced Food Safety Display Boards (FSDBs) for various food businesses. Henceforth, in addition to the existing mandatory requirement of displaying FSSAI License/ Registration Number, it will also be mandatory (in a phased manner) for FBOs to display these Food Safety Display Boards at FBO premise.
Food Safety Display Boards are informative board which primarily display food safety and hygiene practices to be followed by FBO in their establishment. The FSDBs are colour coded for different kind of food businesses for ease of recognition by the consumers. The color designation as per kind of business is as follows –
- Restaurant (Purple)
- Fruit & Vegetable Retail (Green)
- Meat Retail (Red)
- Milk Retail (Blue)
- Street Food (Purple)
- Retail Store (Grey)
- Liquor Retail (Brown)
- Transport & Distribution (Navy Blue)
- Storage (Yellow)
- Manufacturing (Turquoise)
Three important elements of FSDBs are:
- Display of FSSAI registration/license number of the FBO, which the customer can verify at FSSAI website.
- Food Safety and Hygiene Requirements - Inform the consumers, the food handlers and the regulatory staff about these important requirements, thus getting 360 degree assurance on food safety.
- An effective consumer feedback system that provides various options to consumers for sending feedback through WhatsApp, SMS or give feedback on FSSAI App.
Points to consider while displaying FSDBs
- Only display FSDB specific to the kind of food business.
- Size: A4 size for FSSAI Registered food business and A3 for FSSAI Licensed Food Business.
- No. of FSDs to be displayed: A minimum of one FSDB may be displayed. More than one can be displayed in case the outlet is big in size and FSDB displayed is not visible to all the consumers and food handlers from one specific place.
- Material of FSDB: Content of FSDB must not get blurred or damaged over time.
- Directions for FBOs: The FBOs may add their FSSAI/License No. on top and Company Name and Feedback Details on lower right hand side for feedback mechanism.